Are Your Fillings Toxic Health?

We believe that dentistry should be holistically inclined, biologically based, and not have an impact on the general health of each patient. Silver amalgam fillings are composed of at least 55% mercury – about the same amount that is in a thermometer.

As you know, if a thermometer breaks in a public building, the building is completely closed until a hazmat team can clean up the spill. However, dentistry is the only profession that is allowed to use mercury in restorations unregulated. Mercury is the most toxic, non-radioactive element on the earth.

Silver-mercury restorations breakdown over time and continuously emit vapors as we chew on them that are easily inhaled and readily absorbed into the blood stream. Those mercury particles will accumulate in the tissues over time.

To protect our patients and ourselves from this highly toxic material, we are adapting the following protocols when we remove this material:

1. Utilizing a highly efficient suction system to prevent any ingestion of mercury particles or vapor. This can include the use of a rubber dam, an isolight throat isolator, or other devices that protect vital structures.
2. Cut the silver – mercury restoration in large pieces to minimize the generation of vapors and particulate
3. Use large amounts of water during the removal.
4. Protect our patients and ourselvesfrom water and vapor discharge with disposable gowns
5. Provide our patients with a mercury free air source during removal
6. Protect ourselves with the use of charcoal filtered respirators.
7. Use highly efficient vapor removal systems in the operating field.
8. Protect the environment using approved recycling equipment that will collect silver and mercury contaminants.

Mercury vapor is released from the amalgam fillings and can put your health at risk. Common actions such as eating, gum chewing, tooth brushing, and tooth grinding can dramatically increase the release of mercury vapor from the amalgam fillings. Any mercury vapor released from the fillings accumulates in your body and tissues.

We have pledged that we will not use any toxic materials that could cause potential harm when we restore and rejuvenate our patient’s mouths.

Back to list